Go Back   Forums > Self-Coaching Forums > Ask Dr. Joe

Notices

Old 03-12-2014, 04:15 PM

Default Thank you :-)

I wanted to thank you for your daily blogs. Its goes a way to reminding me I am not alone and helps to keep my motivation level higher.

I spotted a new sneaky insecurity thought today and realised I have been using it all my life. I know you mention in your books. Its that 'if I just' thought. I spotted loads of them.
If I just:
buy that book
meditate
say my prayers
buy those clothes
wait for such and such to come round
till im alone
contact Dr Joe
get to my next appointment
bla bla bla

ooooh the sneaky little thoughts creep in. Now I see them Im on to them

Thanks again
Old 03-12-2014, 05:32 PM

"If I just...blah, blah, blah, then I will find what I need." This is an insecurity ruse. You have everything you need right now, it's insecurity that clouds the picture.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:26 PM

Im pretty sure im having many victories a day as i finally realise this is my responsibility and not something a doc should fix. The toughest part i have is when i wake. What strategies can i use when i first wake to find myself shaking?
Any tips are much appreciated
C
Old 03-12-2014, 08:21 PM

Don't fuel the shaking by focusing on the shakes. Rather than reacting to shaking, ride it out. The shaking will pass...pay less attention, yield, this will lessen the friction. In time as you grow in self trust and confidence, this will improve. Look at the article section of this website, read the article on How To Survive a Panic Attack. I would employ the same approach with the shaking.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:00 PM

Thanks i'll read it again.
Its funny how years ago when i bought your anxiety and depression book i believed it wasnt possible however years down the line i am far more receptive. I must admit i realised something had to change and it was me. I used affirmations that said i am willing to change at it seems i really am:-)
I never rated cbt and mood diaries and yet here i am doing it. Perhaps by the grace of god?!
C
Old 03-13-2014, 07:44 AM

I put an audiobook on this morning. Is a distraction ok?
I hate anxiety :-(
Old 03-15-2014, 08:09 AM

Is a lot of it about learning to talk to yourself in a positive way. I didnt realise that my kind,supportive inner voice had all but disappeared. The 'me' that supports my friends and family when they are in need,wasnt there for me. In the last 24 hours she has come back to life...she tells i can do this.....she reassures and offers her strength and comfort. She doesn't pity or say 'poor me' she just tells me that i am ok.
Is this good? It certainly feels it. I feel i may even trust her:-)
Old 03-15-2014, 03:46 PM

Really? Wow. Started so well today but have been getting a battering from reflex:-(
Pep talks and gentle reassurance. It felt good for that wee while:-)
Old 03-16-2014, 02:02 PM

well the healthy me..looks like me but she is dressed in white and has a kind of glow about her. Im finding it hard to remember she is there. Hormones arent helping.
i hope she can help me get a grip in time to travel in three weeks. Any tips Dr joe?
Is just spending time with the healthy me good even though I may still be experiencing anxiety?