Go Back   Forums > Self-Coaching Forums > Public Discussions

Notices

Old 09-23-2004, 11:06 AM

Default anxiety

hi

im feeling very low and sorry for myself at the moment!
i suffered with panic attacks about 3 years ago! which i think lead to anxiety & depression!! i tried for a while to deal with it on my own but just felt i couldn't cope! after alot of thinking i decided to take medication to assist my recovery and i was put on Seroxat. they fixed the problem (after a few weeks) and after a while i felt 100% back to my old self.
I have tried to come off them on about 5 occassions in the past and maybe it was not done so gradual as i now know it should. i went back to my doctor in june and we decided to reduce to dose from 20mg to 10mg. all was well for about 8/9 weeks. i came back from a two week summer holiday on 9th sept and from the 11th & 12th sept i began to feel low - i put this down to returning to work after a great holiday.
while back at work on 16th dec i began to feel anxious and it has basically got worse from there. i spent that week off work with uncontrolable crying, sick and feeling i could not face anything at all! sleep has been a massive problem too im constantly waking up throughout the night! ive have gone back upto 20mg from 17th sept and i know they will take a while to kick into my system again... but i just cant help feeling like im never going to get better this time!

please help... its really getting me down! im back at work but still feel very on edge! very hard to consentrate!
Old 09-23-2004, 11:51 AM

For now itís a matter of first things first. Your plan to stabilize your medication is a good start. What I want to respond to is your fear of never getting better. Self-Coaching views anxiety and depression as habits that are fed by insecurity (or as I call it in The Power of Self-Coaching: Reflexive Thinking). Just as a hurricane depends on being fed by the warm waters of the Gulf , anxiety and depression depend on your feeding it with Reflexive Thinking, i.e., fear, doubt, worry, distrust, etc. Once you feel more stabilized with your medication I suggest you consider a Self-Coaching approach. Let me explain.
The most simple, yet profound tip I can give you is to start looking at your problems as bad "habits." I realize it sounds too easy to be really helpful, but think about it for a moment. If anxiety (and depression) is the result of distorted, insecurity-driven thinking, which over time have become habituated, than the main question you have to ask yourself is how can you break the habits that feed and fertilize these problems. You see, once habituated, insecurity-driven thinking begins to systematically erode your confidence, self-trust, attitude and even your chemistry. Self-Coaching begins by teaching you to separate healthy from contaminated, insecure thinking. Think of it this way. If, for example, you go out on your patio to read the paper and you notice a pigeon. You throw it a few crumbs and go on reading. Next day you notice two or three pigeons and you again throw out some crumbs. By the end of the week there are so many pigeons you can't get to your patio. You ask me what's wrong. I respond: You have to STOP feeding the pigeons! Anxiety, depression, panic, phobias, and insecure thinking are your pigeonsÖwe must find out how youíre feeding these problems. How you're keeping them alive. Learn how to break the cycle of what "feeds" these habits and you will, without doubt, begin to shrink your anxiety and depression. I use a technique called Self-Talk to help you accomplish this task. Self Talk is a lot more than positive thinking, once you begin to realize that your problems are because of faulty thinking-habits and begin to break these habits, you will begin to feel better by learning to live your truth. Keep in mind that Itís your loss of confidence and self-trust that leads to a distorted, worrisome life.
Understanding the nature of control is the second most useful concept in my books. No one escapes some insecurity, itís part of the human condition. When you were young and confronted with some insecurity or vulnerability, what did you do? You responded in any way you could (considering your age) with some attempt to gain control and not feel so helpless. Perhaps you pouted or threw a tantrum or worried, whatever you did, you were only trying to gain control over a situation that you felt threatened by. What happens over time is that you develop patterns of control (i.e., see my thoughts above on ëhabitsí) that stick with you through life (by becoming constantly reinforced). Worry is the most common example of a control pattern. You worry because youíre trying to anticipate whatís coming around that corner before it reaches you, this way you can be braced and ready (since youíve lost all self-confidence and trust, being braced is all thatís left to help you feel safe). Doesnít sound so bad on the surface, but keep in mind that worry, perfectionism, rumination, etc., etc., all require energy and eventually erode the quality of your life and bring you to your knees. Anxiety and Depression are the end result of a life of depletion and control. Saying it differently, youíve lost all trust and confidence in handling life spontaneously, so youíve resorted to a life of control (not talking because you canít trust your instinctual, intuitive ability). Since a controlled life is a life of maintenance, effort and self-doubt, the outcome is predictableÖ.anxiety, worry, panic or depression. An anxiety or panic attack is an acute and devastating experience, and is rooted in the belief that you wonít be able to handle something or that youíre losing control. Self-Coaching teaches you to see beyond these distortions (i.e., perceptions of self-doubt and insecurity) and to give up your habituated life of control by realizing and directing yourself towards the truth. Whatís your truth? Thatís what becomes apparent when you strip away the overlay of insecurity.
The bottom line is that youíve lost confidence and self-trust (insecurity). Rather than building your confidence muscle, youíve opted for control (worry, rumination, anticipation, avoidance, etc.). Your control muscle has evolved and your spontaneous trust-muscle has atrophied! Self-Coaching can teach you to start strengthening your trust-muscle by learning to separate fact from fiction and, using Self-Talk learn to insist on risking the truth. This liberation may sound difficult, if not impossible. Itís not. Itís only your insecurity that wants you to believe this!!!!

I do wish you the best.
Sincerely Yours,
Dr. Joe
Old 09-23-2004, 12:45 PM

Default thanks

Thanks for your promt response!

Just to let you know i have decided to cancel my hypnosis appointment until im feeling better and more stable on my medication. Everything right now seems to make no sense so im going to wait until im well.

Also.. i have already have your book about self talk, i bought it a few months ago when i tried again to reduce my medication and felt anxious again. It seems when im well i look back and think "that was all a bit silly" "why was i so worried?" and dont even think about finding out more about anixety... but when im unwell im completly obsessed with researching and trying to find an answer. Does anyone else feel this is the case?