Go Back   Forums > Self-Coaching Forums > Ask Dr. Joe

Notices

Old 09-20-2004, 04:41 AM

Default Menopause and depression

I am looking for help with my depression, which I feel is directly related to hormonal events. I am menopausal and have turned into a shrew. I am depressed, have lost interest in most everything I ever enjoyed, I don't have any fun, I don't want to do most anything, I think life pretty much sucks! The other time in life when my hormones went nuts was at childbirth. I suffered severe post-partum depression, which went undiagnosed, so I suffered from that most of the time I was attempting to raise my 2 children. I am sick of this crap, and I want some answers.

Please help me!
Old 09-20-2004, 01:22 PM

I need a bit more information, especially about your perceptions and thoughts. Have you consulted with a psychiatrist and, if so, are you taking any medication at this time? Also have you considered counseling? Please let me know.

Dr. Joe
Old 09-20-2004, 05:02 PM

I have considered counseling, and have received some, however, I want to deal with someone who is an "expert" at depression surrounding the big hormonal events. I do not have much faith in counselors, and I have never known of one who has any expertise in this area. I live in a small rural area right now, so getting good medical help is limited anyway. I need references in the right direction so I can pursue seeing someone who knows the subject.

When I had my children, that was all I had ever wanted to do, but it seemed the beginning of a very long nightmare. I could not deal with being a mother. In my opinion, that has to be the result of hormone imbalance. Now I'm on the other end at menopause and my life is falling apart again. Doesn't seem to me it should take a rocket scientist to figure out that my hormones keep me in emotional turmoil. There must be an answer somewhere in this part of the country. That's what I'm looking for. The right professional to help me, talk to me, counsel me, and intelligently prescribe for me.

I have been on anti-depressants for probably 6 years or more. However, after 1-2 years, the one I'm on will become relatively ineffective. So my GP tries me on another. Again after a year or so, it becomes ineffective. I've been through Paxil, Prozac, Effexor, and Zoloft. We've even tried Depakote, but all it does is cause my ankles to swell. Right now I am not taking anything except clonazepam for anxiety. Until I find someone who has a clue, I'm probably not going to take anything else. I have gained 30-35 pounds since beginning anti-depressants, and that makes me even more depressed.

So, as you can see, I am willing...........I just need to know who and where to go to get it. My finances are extremely limited, and I'm on Medicare so I need to find someone relatively close to me. I live in southern Idaho, and I could feasibly go to someone in Salt Lake City, UT; Boise, ID; Ketchum, ID; or those general areas.[/quote]