Go Back   Forums > Self-Coaching Forums > Ask Dr. Joe

Notices

Old 09-20-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Can Depression follow one from childhood

Dr. Joe,

As far back as I can remember I have dealt with what I call a numbness in my head that has significantly hindered my ability to concentrate on most subjects and participate is social activity. While I feel a physical sensation in my head, which becomes more pronounced when I try to concentrate, there appears to be no physical evidence of a problem. MRI's, CT's and EEG's reveal nothing. However, I am always dealing with this numbness, it never goes away. Recently, I started reading about depression and wondered if my symptons may be related to depression rather than a physical cause.

As a child, my parents just assumed I was "lazy" and would constantly punish me for being so. In order to cope, I developed the ability to just "zone out" so that I could survive. Could this be depression?

Thanks
Old 09-21-2004, 01:01 PM

Since youíve ruled out any obvious medical condition, it wouldnít hurt to explore the possibility of a psychological underpinning. The one clue that supports this would be your statement that you used to ìzone outî to survive. This defensive capacity may suggest an underlying anxiety/insecurity system (a low grade depression may be a component). I have worked with many people who report vague ìsurreal feelings,î Iím not sure if youíd describe your numbness in such terms. You need to recognize that the stress and depletion (both emotionally and physically) caused by anxiety and insecurity is quite capable of distorting your perceptions and physical experiences (i.e., stress can lead to whatís called vasoconstriction, which can lead to headaches, etc.). Insecurity is all about projecting negatives (fictions) in the form of ìwhat-ifî thinking, ruminating about things that may go awry, or just plain worrying. I might suggest that you consider having a psychological evaluation to determine if counseling may help your condition. In the meantime, take a look at some of my articles in this website and recognize that it absolutely canít hurt to eliminate psychological friction from your life. Hopefully, youíll find relief with a bit of Self-Coaching.