Go Back   Forums > Self-Coaching Forums > Ask Dr. Joe

Notices

Old 09-21-2004, 12:00 PM

Default Just an update Dr. Joe...

Hi Dr. Joe. I went to my dr. yesterday and they changed my meds. Last night I felt a bit better, but this morning I'm spinning again. I seem to get really caught up in the worry of people hurting themselves... and what if I did that? I know it is distorted thinking, but I don't seem to be able to turn it off or turn away from it. How do I tell myself the truth and believe it? Or do I really need to worry that I'm not okay, that I can't trust myself? I'm really scared. I hate the way I feel, and I just want it to all be okay. I want someone to come in and save me and make it all okay. When I think about maintaining things, it scares me. How am I supposed to make decisions about my life when I feel like this? How am I going to make money, support myself and my children? How do I not fail as a person? I feel like that is exactly what I'm doing, failing. That I can't even figure out how to turn around negative self talk, and depression. I know I need help, I'm trying to find it with friends and family and a counselor and medication. How do I get through this? Wendy
Old 09-21-2004, 12:39 PM

Wendy--
First, let's give the medication a chance to catch up to your anxiety. When you're feeling as vulnerable as you do, it's understandable that you want to be rescued. After all, you're feeling powerless, victimized, and out of control--certainly, looking to yourself at this point for strength would be a major accomplishment. As you begin to gain some solace from the medication, I'd like you to begin to come back to the simple truths we've discussed before, i.e., everything you need you already possess, insecurity is a habit that can be broken, your fears and thoughts when driven by insecurity need to be ignored (step four of my five steps), etc. For now, try to be patient with the new medication. You need to review steps two through five again and again. I honestly feel all the answers to your questions are embodied in these steps. Perhaps you might want to purchase an audio copy of my new book, sometimes it helps to listen rather than try to read. Others have told me that they find solace and comfort from listening to the audio. For now, the name of the game, is patience and going back to some Self-Coaching basics. Just keep reminding yourself, anxiety isn't your problem. It's your feeding it that is! You feed it by believing the insecurity-driven thoughts, by worrying, by doubting, fearing...if you stop feeding the anxiety it HAS TO atrophy and die. Stop focusing on your anxiety and start looking to how you can stop feeding it.

Yours,
Dr. Joe