Go Back   Forums > Self-Coaching Forums > Ask Dr. Joe

Notices

Old 09-21-2004, 06:41 PM

Default tramatic occurances / chemical imbalances

Dr.,

I wanted to know your thoughts on something that I had heard on a medical program on the radio yesterday evening. What was said was there may be a direct link to chemical imbalances due to some type of traumatic experience.
My problem is and has always been anxiety. My parents fought a great deal and when they divorced, my mom clearly invaded our boundaries as far as turning to us for emotional support and not shielding us from jsut being happy kids. Her problems became our problems and as a grown man, my initial reaction to most situations is to just worry and become frightened.

Please resond to me. I would love some advice and some direction.

Cordially,

Aftayev
Old 09-23-2004, 01:17 PM

Self-Coaching views anxiety differently than most traditional views. I see anxiety as nothing more than a habit thatís sustained by insecurity. Let me elaborate. Early, difficult, or traumatic experiences and imprints contribute to a lifelong struggle with anxiety. A child growing up in unstable, stressful or otherwise unhealthy environment will develop insecurity and feelings of vulnerability. The child compensates these feelings of insecurity by trying to control life, which is an attempt to regain stability. Worry, rumination, perfectionism, etc., are all potential controlling strategies that a child gravitates towards in an attempt to ward off insecurity. These strategies comprise what I refer to as your control juggle. Often, if the control juggle is formidable, anxiety can be avoided. But, even with a formidable juggle, eventually the strain and stress of trying to control life crumbles or falters and this is the point where anxiety and panic ensue. I should mention that attempting to control life (i.e., worrying, ruminating, doubting, fearing, etc.) have a depleting effect, not only on our psyche, but also on our chemistry. Thatís why medication works. Saying this differently, the long-term effects of living a controlling life will generate both psychological and physiological imbalances. Because of the corrosive, chronic depletion caused by trying to control life, eventually a tipping point is reached where anxiety, panic, or depression can become chronic conditions. The answer is relatively simple, learn to stop feeding the habit of anxiety. In my new book, The Power of Self-Coaching, thereís a five step program called Self-Talk, that can teach you to how to liberate yourself from the Reflexive Thinking that has fueled your habit all these years. Take a look at the articles at this website, especially the Self-Coaching philosophy articles and the articles on anxiety.