Go Back   Forums > Self-Coaching Forums > Ask Dr. Joe

Notices

Old 09-18-2015, 09:32 PM

Default Question about change

Hi Dr. Joe,

I have a question about changing. I have had anxiety most of my adult life. Sometimes I wish I could remember ďhow I feltĒ when I didnít have this problem yet. Since I was a child then and now Iím an adult, Iím sure it wonít be the same as it was then. I cannot ďpictureĒ what feeling good and normal will feel like (I do know what it wonít feel like Ė how I feel now!). For instance, if I had only had this problem for a short time, maybe a year or two, then I could think back to how I felt before I had it. But I think when you have had it so long, you really donít know how it feels to live without it. Maybe it is like starting a new life with new feelings, not really going back to any previous feelings. How will I know when Iíve reached my goal? I hope you can understand what Iím saying.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:24 PM

When I was in my twenties, if you would have told me then that one day I would feel as content and happy as I feel today, I would have thought you were smoking something. I wouldn't have believed you. Point is, I too didn't know there was another "life" available to me. You really don't have to figure out when you've arrived because you'll no longer be feeling the stress and friction of emotional struggle. Trust me, you'll know the difference!
Old 09-19-2015, 02:29 PM

Default Reply to changing

Thanks for your reply. It is very encouraging!
Old 09-21-2015, 02:02 PM

You're most welcomed! Stay strong, reclaim the life you deserve!!!