Go Back   Forums > Self-Coaching Forums > Ask Dr. Joe

Old 02-23-2005, 04:56 AM
Default My sister just had her first anxiety attack - any advice?

I've had anxiety for 14 years, but my sister just had her first attack this weekend. I've given her both of your books to read; any other advice to nip this in the bud for her?
Old 02-23-2005, 12:50 PM

For now, tell her to begin recognizing that in spite of what she's feeling, anxiety is just a habit. Habits are learned and habits can be broken! Now that she has the Self-Coaching books, let her know that she's going to be learning how to starve the doubts, fears, and negatives that have fueled and instigated her attack. Tell her that the math is simple; learn to starve any habit of insecurity (anxiety, depression, panic, etc.), and it will die. She may be feeling victimized right now, but soon she'll be in the driver's seat. Please have her view my interview in the What's New section on the homepage.

Disclaimer: The diagnosis of clinical anxiety or depressive disorders requires a physician or other qualified mental health professional. The information provided is intended for informational purposes only. Please understand that the opinions shared with you are meant to be general reference information, and are not intended as a diagnosis or substitute for consulting with your physician or other qualified mental health professional.

Dr. Joe