Go Back   Forums > Self-Coaching Forums > Ask Dr. Joe

Notices

Old 03-03-2005, 09:02 AM

Default Is there anything new here?

I have been through various types of therapey, from CBT to NLP to hypnosis. From Toney Robbins to Lucinda Bassit to the Sedona method along with reading most of the so called great self help books and various other methods with limited results. Is this just another offshoot on the whole positive self talk or is there anything new here that hasn't been recycled a thousand times? Im at the point now where I think I could write a self help book or come up with a "attacking panic and anxiety program" myself. The problem is that they give you a warm fuzzy just long enough to hold on to it until you can't return it or you slip back into your old funk and don't care about life anymore. What sets this apart from anything else?
Old 03-03-2005, 01:44 PM

Self-Coaching isnít a regurgitation of other methods, itís a unique approach that has evolved over the past thirty-years working with my patients. As I see it, positive thinking and positive affirmations are only 50% of the equation. The other 50% has to do with positively believing. If you donít embrace and live what youíre telling yourself, itís for naught. Aside from being a motivational, coaching approach, Self-Coaching reduces all conflict (especially anxiety, panic, and depression) to two words: habit and control. This is the core of my program and what makes it stand apart from other methods. By understanding how, because of insecurity, youíve gravitated toward a life of control (i.e., worrying, rumination, perfectionism, compulsion) etc., you are in a position to begin seeing exactly what can be done to eliminate anxiety/depression from your life. The controlling strategies, once habituated, begin to deplete you both psychologically as well as chemically (this is why medication works, because youíve created an actual chemical deficit). Since we are talking about habits of control, the key is learning what feeds (sustains) these habits and what starves them. I should mention that insecurity is a common legacy of living in our complex, competitive, imperfect world. A desire to control our feelings of insecurity and vulnerability isnít unusualóitís an attempt to keep our head above water. Only problem with a life of control is that you invariably lose self-trust as you come to depend more and more on your control juggle to stay secure. When the control juggle falters, this is when you feel symptoms of anxiety or depression. Itís the perception that you canít handle something. This is understandable since your habit of control has replaced self-reliance leaving your trust muscle in a state of atrophy. Self-Coaching not only explains psychological struggle in a new light, but it also offers a pragmatic technique for extricating yourself from your enslavement to control. Bottom line, control isnít the answer, itís always the problem. Take a look at my interview in the Whatís New section on the home page, I go over these issues in depth.

Disclaimer: The diagnosis of clinical anxiety or depressive disorders requires a physician or other qualified mental health professional. The information provided is intended for informational purposes only. Please understand that the opinions shared with you are meant to be general reference information, and are not intended as a diagnosis or substitute for consulting with your physician or other qualified mental health professional.

Yours,
Dr. Joe