Go Back   Forums > Self-Coaching Forums > Ask Dr. Joe

Notices

Old 03-08-2014, 12:36 PM

damn I still have to choose between national health service and private cbt therapist. I know you would probably recommend a psychologist but i cant afford one. Ive had a wobble about it all. The nhs are offering low intensity and am waiting to hear from the private therapist if she does high intensity. This really is my worst bad habit.......i can hear my dad saying 'can you afford it', my own mind saying 'what if I get it wrong?'......eeek am so disappointed that i am finding this so hard.....it really is my achillies heel.
Ill get there im sure but i feel horrid.
Im not asking you to make the decision..im just......i dont know what im just doing:-s
C
Old 03-08-2014, 07:38 PM

I've always felt strongly that it's the person, more so than the technique, that can make a big difference. Whether it's a psychologist, psychiatrist or clinical social worker, it's important to have a rapport and good "feel" for the person you're working with. It may be a bit of trial and error, but do try to find the right "person" for you. Bring the Self-Coaching book along with you so they can see what resonates with your thinking.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:46 PM

Thank you for that. I did eventually slam the door on those thoughts ane re listened to your audio book which seemed to be at just the right place :

Something that i like is your description using an island and a vast ocean. One of my pictures i used to explain how i felt was similar. I used to say that i would start like an excited pup who saw the sea for the first time and go running in out of sheer joy and excitement. Only just like the pup i would forget myself for a while only to come to my senses and realise that not only could i not touch the bottom but i had also lost sight of land no matter which way i turned. I was stuck treading water with only myself to rely on....eeeeek
Just thought i would share that with you.
Thanks again
Claire
Old 03-11-2014, 07:42 AM

Am only a short way into contact ciaching and cbt. Positively believing is seems impossible sometimes. Any tips doc?
C