Go Back   Forums > Self-Coaching Forums > Ask Dr. Joe

Notices

Old 08-13-2014, 08:07 PM

Default Please give me some guidance.

Dear Dr. Joe,

I've been controlling life for over 17 years, my life is a mess, I want to change completely, but I don't know where to start (I'm in a mess), what I need to change (I even can't make sure what problems I have), and how to really apply the five steps of self-coaching to my own problems, would you please give me some guidance or ask me my problems? Hope you've met a person with same problems I have, so you will know what exactly I want to express.

Thank you so much!

Sincerely,
L.W.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:35 PM

Since you mention the five steps of Self-Talk, I will assume you're reading The Power of Self-Coaching. Sometimes when there is confusion and a generic frustration with life, there could be an underlying reason such as a mood disturbance or a mild depression. Of course I cannot know or diagnose if this is the case for you, however I would suggest that you consider whether or not your mood is a factor in your sturggles. For example, are you generally pessimistic, prone to excessive worry, rumination or anxiety? If so, then I would recommend Self-Coaching (the green cover book) along with an evaluation/assessment from a mental health professional.

Although the Self-Coaching approach is similar in both books, Self-Coaching deals more with the insecurity-driven thinking (i.e., doubts, fears and negatives) that can create such life frustrations. Should you have any concerns about anxiety or depression, again, you should, before anything else, have a consultation with a mental health professional to assess what may be going on. Self-help can be an adjunct to therapy and together, are often quite effective. As you can see from my response, I've given you a generic response to your question. There is no way I can know what your specific needs are, but I do encourage you to consider more carefully what may be instigating your confusion, hesitations and frustrations.

Yours,
Dr. Joe

Disclaimer: The diagnosis of clinical anxiety or depressive disorders requires a physician or other qualified mental health professional. The information provided is intended for informational purposes only. Please understand that the opinions shared with you are meant to be general reference information, and are not intended as a diagnosis or substitute for counseling with your physician or other qualified mental health professional.

Self-Coaching.net provides access to resources and other information as a public service. Although reasonable efforts have been made to ensure that all electronic information made available is current, complete and accurate, Joseph J. Luciani, Ph.D. (Dr. Joe) does not warrant or represent that this information is current, complete and accurate. All information is subject to change on a regular basis, without notice.
Joseph J. Luciani, Ph.D., assumes no responsibility for any errors in the information provided, nor assumes any liability for any damages incurred as a consequence, directly or indirectly, of the use and application of any of the contents of the Self-Coaching.net Website.

Any electronic information or inquiries that Self-Coaching.net receives from visitors shall not be considered as, or treated as, confidential. The inclusion of, or linking to, other Website URLs does not imply my endorsement of, nor responsibility for, those Websites, but has been done as a convenience to my website visitors.

Tags
self-coaching