Go Back   Forums > Self-Coaching Forums > Ask Dr. Joe

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 05:29 AM

Smile It is Back

I have had Anxiety off and on in my life. Have not had a bad Attack of it in many years. Now has come back in full force after many years. I am now playing the "What if Game", and am getting "afraid" of the sensations, and not wanting to go anywhere. I know I can't give into this, but I am having trouble when I drive during the Anxiety. The last time I had this so bad was in 1979 going thru a divorce. I am now remarried after 21 years of being single. I have been married 15 years now. It is a average marriage. Happy days and not happy days, but I don't want to go thru a second divorce. He is a very good man to me. I am wanting to know some tools for getting thru this time, so That I can function better. I know I can not give in to the Anxiety, but sometimes it gets overwhelming, and when it does, I get so scared that I am going to have a breakdown.

Any Couching would be very much appreciated. I am a 65 year old retired Grandma.......

Thank You so Much
Old 10-02-2013, 11:54 AM

From you note, it sounds like the source of your anxiety may be due to your fear of another divorce. Your description of "happy days and not happy days," sounds like you're struggling with ambivalence over your marriage. Anxiety is always precipitated by some perceived loss of control. If, in fact, you're feeling threatened by the stagnation you feel in your marriage, then perhaps a more proactive approach is necessary. Your marriage clearly sounds like it has potential and I would encourage you to take a look at my book Reconnecting. Reconnecting was originally meant as a program where a proactive partner could intervene with a more passive, less enthusiastic partner to make changes. Rather than do nothing, think about improving your relationship. This alone should help with the out-of-control feelings that you might be facing a divorce.

Yours,
Dr. Joe

Disclaimer: The diagnosis of clinical anxiety or depressive disorders requires a physician or other qualified mental health professional. The information provided is intended for informational purposes only. Please understand that the opinions shared with you are meant to be general reference information, and are not intended as a diagnosis or substitute for consulting with your physician or other qualified mental health professional.

Self-Coaching.net provides access to resources and other information as a public service. Although reasonable efforts have been made to ensure that all electronic information made available is current, complete and accurate, Joseph J. Luciani, Ph.D. (Dr. Joe) does not warrant or represent that this information is current, complete and accurate. All information is subject to change on a regular basis, without notice.

Joseph J. Luciani, Ph.D., assumes no responsibility for any errors in the information provided, nor assumes any liability for any damages incurred as a consequence, directly or indirectly, of the use and application of any of the contents of the Self-Coaching.net Website.

Any electronic information or inquiries that Self-Coaching.net receives from members shall not be considered as, or treated as, confidential.
The inclusion of, or linking to, other Website URLs does not imply our endorsement of, nor responsibility for, those Websites, but has been done as a convenience to our Website visitors.